Student Organization Resources
Student organizations at Carl Sandburg College offer the opportunity to take your learning outside the classroom walls, gain new skills, build your professional resume and meet fellow students! Academic, recreational and special interest focused organizations can meet many interests. Check out the Student Organization Page for a complete listing of active student organizations at Sandburg.
Student Organization Annual Renewal
Student organizations at Sandburg are required to complete the annual renewal form each fall semester to remain active and be eligible for Student Government Association (SGA) funding. Forms can be submitted via email to Coordinator of Student Life and Advisor of SGA.
Student Organization Constitutions
Student organizations are required to have a Constitution on file with the Office of Student Life in order to be eligible for SGA funding. Constitutions are meant to guide and govern the organization. For a list of what to include on your student organization's constitution, check out this helpful Constitution Checklist.
Student Organization Funding Requests
Student organizations who have a current constitution and renewal form on file with the Office of Student Life are eligible to request funding from SGA to help support club activities for the academic year, for things such as larger events, supplies, conferences, etc. SGA awards funding request in the Fall of each academic year. Student organizations must complete a Funding Request Form and submit it to SGA for review.
Student Organization Fundraisers: On Campus
Student organizations are encouraged to initiate fundraisers on campus and in our community to support programs, causes or events. Successful fundraisers involve planning ahead, advertising, simple ideas, and creativity. Here are some ideas for on-campus fundraisers:
- Activity Nights
- Bake Sale
- Bracelet Sales
- Candy Bar Sales
- Car Wash
- Face Painting
- Raffles (Requires Raffle License with Knox County. Click here for more information.)
- Rummage Sales
- Talent Showcase
- T-Shirt Sales
Student Organization Fundraisers: Off Campus/Community
Before soliciting local businesses for any donations, Student Organizations must complete an External Funding Request form and have approval from the Foundation Office. Solicitations include but are not limited to goods or services for an event, monetary donations, coupon sales, or bagging groceries/bussing tables for tips. Contact the Foundation Office for questions and information about eligible businesses. 309.341.5349
Planning Events & Other Organization Activities
Student organizations planning events, meetings, fundraisers, or other activities must follow the College event planning procedures. Please review this information below and/or download a copy of the printable version of the Event Planning Procedures linked below.
Planning an Event at Sandburg
1. Reserve the room/space on campus through Astra Room Scheduling and make sure the desired date is available. Only Sandburg faculty and staff have access to this service. Contact your advisor to complete, or contact the Coordinator of Student Life at 309.341.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Submit a Work Order for all necessary equipment and room setup needs no later than (2) weeks prior to the event. *NOTE: Even if the event does not require a different setup than what is typically in the space, a Work Order MUST STILL be submitted reflecting this information (i.e. B Lobby Tabling, a Work Order must be submitted requesting a table in that location). Only Sandburg faculty and staff have access to this service. Contact your advisor to complete, or contact the Coordinator of Student Life at 309.341.5332 or email@example.com
3. Submit a Marketing Request Form no later than (2) weeks prior to the event. If your event is open to anyone outside of your student organization, a Marketing Request Form must be submitted to provide event information to Marketing (including fundraisers!). Complete the online Marketing Request Form and/or contact the Marketing Department for any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org or 309.341.5328
4. Submit an Audio/Visual Request Form no later than (1) week prior to the event. If your event requires any kind of technology (i.e. microphones, projector, computers, etc.) an Audio/Visual Request Form must be completed. Complete the online Audio/Visual Request Form and/or contact the IT Department for any questions. email@example.com or 309.341.5205
5. If food is being planned for the event, Student Organizations must go through Boxcar Express for any food/drink needs. Complete a Catering Request Form and submit to Boxcar Express no later than (2) weeks prior to the event. View the Catering Menu for pricing and options. For questions, contact the Boxcar Express manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 309.341.5284
Student Organization Handbook
Questions ranging from how to reserve a room for your meeting to how to have your event flyers printed on campus to sample meeting agendas...the Student Organization Handbook is here with the answers!
Student Organizations and Student Government Association (SGA)
Student organizations are encouraged to regularly send representatives to SGA meetings to be current on campus issues, funding and leadership opportunities. SGA governs all student organizations on campus and makes decisions that impact student organizations and their membership. Check the SGA page for the most up to date meeting times and Executive Board information.