First Year Experience
Welcome to your first year in college! Carl Sandburg College will begin offering a First Year Seminar (FYS) to incoming freshman who are enrolled full-time in the AA, AS or AFA degrees in the fall 2012 semester. The purpose of the FYS is to help you understand the expectations of college courses and to teach you valuable study skills needed to be successful in college courses.
You may be nervous or excited or a little of both when you first begin college courses and you are not alone. The FYS sessions give you an opportunity to meet other Sandburg students, learn about how to be prepared for college courses and find out about services and events on campus.
Topics covered in the sessions include:
- Differences between high school and college
- Technology used at Sandburg
- Discovering your best learning style
- Getting involved in campus life
- How to manage a busy college schedule
- How to make appropriate choices
- Selecting a major that is right for you
- How to prepare for finals