What are Employability Skills?
Essential qualifications for many job positions that have become necessary for an individual's employment success at any level.
Why Are These Skills Important?
Employers often look for skills that stretch beyond job qualifications and work experience. Applicants must possess extensive knowledge of soft skills to be considered a worthy candidate.
What Are Employers Looking For?
Ability to convey information effectively so it is received and understood; appropriate verbal/nonverbal communication with colleagues, managers, and customers/others.
The ability to effectively lead or guide others ensures positive growth and motivates the group to produce quality results.
Working collaboratively with the willingness to share information in order to achieve a common goal allows employees to maintain a spirit of solidarity.
Ability to identify and devise solutions.
Etiquette (Business & Social)
Demonstrating you have self-control to make others comfortable around you builds credibility and helps you establish rapport.
Positive Work Ethic
A strong work ethic includes optimism, honesty, and having moral objectives to arrive to work on time with an attitude of someone willing to do the job without complaint.
What are Students Looking For?
- Meaningful Employment
- Confidence to Face an Interview
- Outstanding Resume
- Ability to Market Themselves Professionally to an Employer
What is the Employability Skills Academy (ESA)?
A sixteen hour Academy committed to enhancing student success and provide learning experiences that may effectively improve the success rate in gaining and retaining employment. Upon successful completion of the Academy, graduates will receive a certificate of completion, one vocational skills credit, and the knowledge and skills to:
- Exhibit self-confidence through believing in their professional abilities.
- Live with self-esteem by projecting a positive orientation towards oneself.
- Practice positive social and interpersonal skills such as the ability to interact with people in appropriate ways both in person and through social media.
- Communicate effectively by conveying information that is both received and understood appropriately.
- Be a reliable person by keeping consistently high standards regarding attendance and time commitments.
- Present themselves as professionals through consistently dressing appropriately and maintaining a polite and courteous manner.