Skip to main content

Excellence, Collaboration, Integrity, Respect.

Veterans Support

Veterans Support


Carl Sandburg College is proud to serve and provide an educational opportunity for students and their dependents who have and are serving our country.  We are committed to help our Veterans make an easy transition to college life.

Federal and state-affiliated educational programs currently administered:

  •         Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
  •         Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill
  •         Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation
  •         Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance program (DEA)
  •         Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
  •         Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  •         Illinois Veterans Grant - (IVG)
    • This program provides payment of tuition and certain fees at an Illinois public two- or four-year college or university. The grant is available to qualified Illinois veterans or military service members with at least one year of active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and who have served honorably. Veterans must have been residents of Illinois six months prior to entering the services and must have returned to Illinois to reside within six months of leaving the service. You are not required to enroll for a minimum number of credit hours.

    • Qualified veterans may receive IVG benefits for the equivalent of four academic years of full-time enrollment, which is measured in eligibility units. Recipients may accumulate up to 120 eligibility units.

    • You can obtain an IVG Program application at or your college's Coordinator of Veterans & Military Personnel Student Services, or the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs field offices. Fax or mail your complete application and required documentation as specified on the application to ISAC’s Deerfield Office. ISAC fax number is 847.831.8549.

    • For more information on Illinois National Guard Grant and Illinois Veterans Grant visit

  •         Illinois National Guard Grant - (NG)
    • This program provides payment of tuition and certain fees at an Illinois public two- or four-year college or university. The grant is available to enlistees who have served one year of active duty and are currently in active duty status.

    • ING Grant benefits for an academic year are determined based on the number of credit hours for which the qualified applicant is enrolled.

    • Recipients who have completed less than ten years of active duty ING service may accumulate up to 120 eligibility units and recipients who have completed ten years or more of active duty ING service may accumulate up to 180 eligibility units.**

    • The Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant application is available online as an interactive application via the Student Portal. 

  •         MIA/POW Scholarship
    • The State of Illinois provides an education scholarship for the dependents of veterans who are either Missing In Action, a Prisoner of War, died while on active duty,
    • 100% disabled due to service connected disabilities or died as a result of a service connected disabilities. 105 ILCS 5/30-14.2 (MIA/POW Scholarship) establishes the benefit and 95 Ill.
    • Admin Code 116 (MIA/POW Scholarship) provides the rules governing the administration and eligibility of dependents.
    • Please check the back of the scholarship application for eligibility and document information: /sites/default/files/files/IL497-0472(1).pdf


To make an appointment with our veteran representative please contact:


Chris Shaw

Coordinator of Veterans and Military Personnel Student Services/Financial Aid Specialist

Phone: 309-341-5321

Phone: 309-341-5283 (Financial Aid Front desk)


Fax: 309-344-2529

Office is located in the Financial Aid Office in room E-101.


The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is designed to help you assess your total cost of attending Sandburg. Using a simplified format, the sheet presents information about your available financial aid, net costs, and how much you should expect to pay out-of-pocket. This information should be used to help you compare financial aid packages offered by different institutions.

You will be able to access the shopping sheet in MySANDBURG after you have been awarded aid for the current academic year. 


How to Access the Shopping Sheet

  1. Log into
  2. Select Self-Service
  3. Go to Financial Aid
  4. Click on Financial Aid Self-Service,
  5. Now while the mouse is on the "Financial Aid" tab a menu will appear
  6. Click on Federal Shopping Sheet
  7. Select the current school year

The figures noted in the shopping sheet are based on estimates; your specific costs may differ from the information provided.

Supporting Our Veterans Military Friendly School Military Advanced Education & Transition





Fiscal Impact Survey