The staff of the Carl Sandburg College TRIO Student Support Services program will be responsible for the following prescribed standards and principles which apply to the services provided in the professional relationship with program participants, colleagues, staff, faculty, administration, and the community.
The TRIO Student Support Services staff:
- Shall do their best to fulfill the mission of Carl Sandburg College and the TRIO Student Support Services program.
- Shall operate within the highest moral and ethical standards for conduct and service.
- Shall do the job with integrity, compassion, and respect for individual differences and choices with other staff, coworkers, faculty, administration and students.
- Shall provide support and services designed to meet the needs of the program participants with emphasis on promoting academic and personal growth.
- Shall encourage and advocate for participants against unethical and/or illegal practices or actions by other individuals or organizations engaged in providing supports or services.
- Shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, national ancestry or veteran status and shall work to eliminate or prevent such discrimination in providing support by working with students, staff, faculty and the administration.
- Shall respect confidentiality for program participants and protect their right to privacy.
- Shall refrain from entering into a multiple relationship situation with a student if the relationship could reasonably be expected to impair the staff person’s objectivity, competence or effectiveness in performing his/her job functions.
- Shall strive to ensure the fair, objective, and impartial treatment of all participants and employees of the college and community.
- Shall ensure accuracy of all written and electronic documentation of services provided.
- Shall ensure that all program funds are appropriately managed in accordance with established and responsible accounting procedures and are spent within the federal allowable costs guidelines.
- Shall not participate in any form of harassment that demeans persons or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.
- Shall perform work duties within the limits of his/her training, expertise and competence. When these limits are exceeded, the student must be referred to the appropriate qualified professional.
- Staff shall refrain from intentionally soliciting or accepting gifts from students. If the gift is of minimal value such as food items, the staff person may accept the gift on behalf of the program and share it with other students and staff members. Staff should refer to the Sandburg regulation on Ethics and Gift Ban for further compliance.
- Shall report to the Program Director or Dean of Student Success other staff members who exhibit unethical behavior or violations to the above statements.